Tuesday, January 10, 2012

OLIO



Just a collection of ideas.

A great New Year’s resolution. “I want to be as good as my dog. Loving, devoted,   forgiving, non-judgmental.” 

Make sure your correction doesn’t become part of the command and signal. I often see people give a sit command and at the same time jerk up and back on the leash thereby administering a correction at the same time as asking for a task. It’s also not uncommon to see people say heel and jerk the leash at the same time. The student must have time to react to the command before you administer a correction. 

British dog trainer John Rogerson said, "In order to have a good dog, you have to learn how to become a good dog owner.”
“A good instructor understands basic psychology, learning theory, ethology and animal husbandry. You must understand operant and classical conditioning and how to use them. Study problem behaviors and their solutions. It isn't enough to just know the mechanics. Know how, when and why you would choose specific techniques - and why you would not. Every dog is different, every family is unique.”

Remember what the renowned dog trainer, Pat Miller, says, "Train with your brain - not pain." We’re supposed to be the smart ones here.

When dealing with stress and anxiety check the dog’s environment and have the owners “look in the mirror.” Often the problem is closer than we think.

I’ve just experienced this one with a student. Dogs hit a wall at about ten months and for 4 to 6 weeks you will be convinced that they have forgotten everything you taught. Slow down, train through it but don’t become frustrated. We all experience it.

As I constantly strive to become better at my craft I find I am reminding myself to consider the dog’s perspective. How is the dog thinking about what we are trying to achieve? I’m not suggesting that you spoil the student or compromise the expectations but I think we can always try to better understand the dog/trainer relationship. There just might be a better way. Keep searching. Look how far we have come in the last twenty five years and I for one think we have only scratched the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment