Thursday, January 12, 2012

INSTANT INFORMATION

He grabbed my 'round my slender neck, I could not call or scream.
And dragged me to his dingy nest where we could not be seen.
 He tore away my flimsy wrap and looked upon my form,
And pressed his feverish lips to mine. They were so wet and warm.
He drained me of my very self. That's why you find me here.
A BROKEN  BOTTLE THROWN AWAY THAT ONCE
WAS FILLED WITH BEER.

It's an old poem so what's the point? My point is that today we are deluged with a zillion printed messages, all of the instant information category that are designed to fit the fifteen second sound bite category and everyone expects to read four lines and reach a conclusion and declare themselves fully informed.
As the little poem points out, we can make a mistake if we rush to judgement.
With the internet we can be an expert on anything in less than three seconds if we put the right words to Google.
Because my e mail address is in the public domain I am invited to purchase a lot of dog related equipment, information, courses , and whatever else you can imagine. I am constantly amazed what you can achieve with only $19.95  This week I read about a dog grooming home study course that offered a 12 week course that would guarantee a certificate enabling you to start work as qualified groomer. The only problem was they never mentioned anything about a requirement to know which end of the dog was attached to the tail. And a similar dog training course taught you how to enter the highly lucrative field of dog training in only ten weeks. Again no comment about the big E as in experience.
I regularly read blogs etc. from these people that trained one dog and took someone's seminar and set themselves up as experts. It's not that simple folks.
These dogs aren't robots. They don't all react in the same way all of the time. I've been at this business longer than most of you have been alive, I study regularly, looking for a better way, I have my hands on at least ten dogs daily and I'm the first to admit that I can run into a snag that makes me try a different approach to the problem. You have to rely on hands on experience to give you these alternatives and this has to be a reflex reaction.
Quality training comes from lots and lots of hands on experience not from the first two pages of Google answers that popped up in less than 1.873 seconds.
Thanks for reading this far. Just had to get that off my chest.

2 comments:

  1. On a rant today, huh. But I really do have to agree with you, I used to get the same type of reaction regarding horses.
    heh, wv = exisms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Your Murphy fans want to know about your bowed tendon.

    ReplyDelete